Monthly Notifiable Disease Surveillance Report - Jul 2020

Sunday 1st November 2020


Key Notifiable Disease Trends

Overall decrease in notifications: There was a decrease in the incidence of most notifiable diseases in July 2020, compared with July 2019. This is most likely due to behavioural changes as a result of public health messaging about the COVID-19 pandemic, and the dramatic reduction in overseas travel.

COVID-19: There were 34 cases of COVID-19 reported in July 2020, all of which were confirmed. All cases were in managed isolation facilities at the time of diagnosis. Two thirds of cases (23 cases, 67.6%) were reported from the Auckland region, with the remainder (11 cases, 32.4%) from Canterbury DHB. Most cases (23/34, 67.6%) were aged 20–39 years. No cases were hospitalised, and no deaths were reported. More information can be found on the ESR COVID-19 dashboard.

Listeriosis: There were seven cases of listeriosis (all confirmed) reported in July 2020, compared with two for the same month in 2019. Four cases (one pregnancy associated) were from Bay of Plenty DHB, and the remaining cases were from Counties Manukau, Capital & Coast, and Wairarapa DHBs (1 case each). The majority (5/7, 71.4%) were aged 59 years and over. All seven cases were hospitalised. The serotypes identified were O1/2 (4 cases) and O4 (3 cases).

On 24 July, Talbot Forest Cheese and Goodman Fielder recalled various cheese products due to the possible presence of Listeria monocytogenes. Currently no connection has been found between the recalled cheese products and the increase in listeriosis cases. Sequencing results of the case isolates showed genetic variation from each other.

Yersiniosis: There were 111 cases of yersiniosis (110 confirmed and 1 under investigation) reported in July 2020, compared with 77 for the same month in 2019. Of the 73 cases that were typed, 48 (65.8%) were due to Yersinia enterocolitica biotype 2/3 serotype O:9 and nine (12.3%) were due to Y. enterocolitica biotype 4 serotype O:3. Y. enterocolitica biotype 2/3 serotype O:9 is the most common biotype isolated in New Zealand. Sequencing of a sample of Y. enterocolitica biotype 2/3 serotype O:9 isolates has identified multiple genomic clusters which suggests multiple sources.

 

OUTBREAKS

Campylobacter: An outbreak of campylobacter at a meat works was reported to Capital & Coast DHB in July. Two cases of campylobacteriosis were initially identified and a third case was later found to be positive for Shiga toxin-producing E. coli (STEC). All three cases worked on the same shift and had been drinking from a cleaning hose lying on the floor of the rendering area in the meat works.

Meningococcal disease: An outbreak of meningococcal disease was reported from Waikato DHB in July 2020. Two cases of group W disease due to porA type P1.5,2 were reported from a rural community hospital. The cases were both aged over 80 years. One case died. All residents and staff were offered antibiotic prophylaxis and staff aged under 55 years were also offered immunisation.

Respiratory illness: Public Health Units are asked to report any outbreaks of influenza-like illness/acute respiratory infections (including COVID-19) to EpiSurv as soon as possible.

Fourteen respiratory illness outbreaks were reported in July 2020 from eight DHBs. Nine outbreaks were due to rhinovirus, three were acute respiratory infection and two were influenza-like illness. All 14 respiratory illness outbreaks were in long-term care facilities.

Note: Click on the document links below to open. These documents are in PDF format. You will need to download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to view them.

Report:

Monthly Notifiable Disease Surveillance Report - Jul 2020

Tables:

Monthly National Tables - July 2020 (.xlsx)

Monthly DHB Tables - July 2020 (.xlsx)

Monthly Rolling Tables - July 2020 (.xlsx)

 

DOWNLOADS

Monthly Notifiable Disease Surveillance Report - Jul 2020

Tables:

Monthly National Tables - July 2020 (.xlsx)

Monthly DHB Tables - July 2020 (.xlsx)

Monthly Rolling Tables - July 2020 (.xlsx)

Ph: +64 4 914 0700 Fax: +64 4 914 0770 Email: survqueries@esr.cri.nz